Tuesday, July 5, 2011

4th of July

I love the 4th of July!!! I don't know if it's because of the memories of the parade, water fights, barbeques, and fireworks from my childhood or the reason we celebrate the holiday, our freedom and the things we get to enjoy because of it. We, unfortunately don't take advantage of all the fun events around for our kids to help them enjoy the day. I really feel bad for them but we don't have a set spot at the parade every year like we did as kids and they just don't have as many cousins on either side for the fun water fights we had. But my kids are always up to the task of creating their own fun, including face painting.




They got together with the neighbor kids and before I knew what they were doing they were covered in paint. They had so much fun! I love watching them create and use their imaginations. After face painting it was off to Grandpa and Grandma Davis' for yummy food and of course fireworks. My Grandpa and Grandma were there also. Can I just say how much I love the holidays even more now because my grandpa and grandma are always there to celebrate with us and I love creating more memories with them and the memories my kids get to create with them also. My grandpa and I were even remembering our wild water fights from the past. My kids love my grandparents and the attention they get from them.


While writing this post I realized I didn't get any pictures of my grandpa so I'm going to have to make up for it at my grandma's 80th birthday party in a few weeks. We had lots of yummy food which was enjoyed by all.




My dad even made his famous pineapple upside down cake.


When it came time to sit down and eat dinner somehow my dad got stuck outside with all the grandkids. Doesn't he look thrilled?


After dinner it was time for sparklers.




The kids then decided to go for two sparklers each and become fighter jets flying around the yard.





Jim kept trying to get Vanessa to hold a sparkler


but she just wanted to chill by Dad.


Even with all our warnings and precautions, Phin burned his hand, Ally burned her thumb and I burned my finger. What would sparklers be without burns? Luckily none of them were too extreme.

It was then time for dessert. The kids had some very interesting dessert which consisted of pineapple upside down cake, Popsicles and corn on the cob.





Aunt Kelly brought some glow sticks for the kids to wear during the fireworks.





We did fireworks in the rain


and enjoyed the new Utah fireworks law which allows anyone to do above the ground fireworks.


So many people were shooting them up we really didn't know where to look. It was so much fun! We really had a great 4th of July and hope you all did too!

1 comment:

Tricia said...

Looks like you all had a lot of fun - sparkler burns and all Ü THANKS for postin' these - you're the BOMB! Can't wait to see you in TWO WEEKS - woohoo!!

//www.thecutestblogontheblock.com/images/tag.png%22%3E%3C/a%3E%27%3B%0Adocument.getElementsByTagName%28%27body%27%29.item%280%29.appendChild%28div%29%3B%0A%3C/script%3E"));